Busy days call for easy healthy food 😊
It is so tempting at the end of a long working day to reach for the takeaway menu, call deliveroo or pop a pizza in the oven but these are the days where we need MORE energy and BETTER food. We want to feel nourished and rested so setting ourselves up to make hot, tasty, healthy delights on these days is essential for our long-term health.
Yes it is ok to occasionally have a takeaway or some convenient easy food but for most of us, there are so many days where we feel exhausted that to give in to this temptation every time we have a hard day would be bad for our health and our wasitline! I had forgotten about my old friend Mr stir-fry after a period of eating too many of them many moons ago but what a gem he is!
What i love about stir-frys is that they are so versatile – you can use up any veggies that are going old (no waste!) and chose any meat or vegetarian option you like 🙂 You can go hard on the chilli if you want to spice up your life or leave it out if spice isn’t your thing. It is also cheap, quick and an easy way to get all those awesome veggies in your body..
Feel free to serve your stir-fry with rice or noodles but be cautious with your portion size if you want to lose weight. Better to have slightly less carbs and more of the protein and veggies if you are super hungry!
I try to eat a rainbow of fruit and vegetables every day so think colour when you are putting your stir-fry together. You can substitute pretty much anything for anything so don’t let this recipe limit your imagination but use it as a base from which your creations can stem from.
1 clove garlic
Inch of ginger root chopped or mashed
Fresh chilli and/or red pepper
Chilli flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
chicken, pork or chick peas
Pack of mushroom stir-fry veggies
Egg noodles or rice
Black pepper to season
Olive oil or sesame oil to cook
Method for Sizzling Spicy Stir-fry (serves two)
- If your meat is raw then cook it in some oil to start. Once your meat is cooked then the rest of the stir-fry takes less than 10 minutes so pop the rice or noodles on.
- Chop your garlic and ginger, chilli and red pepper. Add to hot sesame or olive oil to brown.
- Add your honey or maple syrup and cook for a minute.
- Add your meat or chickpeas and cover with the combination.
- Add your pack of stir-fry veggies or the ones you have chosen to use. Add Soya sauce and 2 tablespoons water till you have a good amount of sauce.
- Sprinkle with the rice vinegar and add chilli flakes to your hearts content (or your mouth says stop!)
- Add in rice or noodles or place stir-fry mixture on top 🙂
Cooking time: 10 -20 minutes depending on choice of rice and 5 mins to chop veggies and throw together.
If you are wanting to lose weight then plan to eat better and move more – check out our online video library for inspiration.
Love and yummy food,