Do you feel like you begin the week with such good intentions to exercise and keep fit and then as the week goes by, things just don’t work out how you want them to? Do you feel like your lifestyle is incompatible with your health and fitness goals? Here are some top tips on how to turn your intentions into action and your frustrations into SUCCESS:
- Translate your intentions into realistic goals. You can tell yourself you are going to do 5 workouts and a run, but if you are working a 60-hour week and have relatives coming at the weekend then you probably need to adjust your goals accordingly. Set realistic achievable goals! The more frequently you achieve them, the more you reinforce the fact that you have the power to do what you set your mind to.
- Plan your workouts or yoga sessions, leave them to chance and the days will pass you by. A little time management goes a long way and will reduce your stress! No one needs more stress! Also plan in an extra 15 minutes for the faffing (getting water, locating your trainers, etc) if you are the faffing type 🙂
- Do a food shop! You don’t need to plan your food out for the week if the idea makes you feel slightly unwell (the idea of this freaks me OUT!), but you can’t eat well if you don’t have good food in to cook. Make sure to do a shop for lots of veggies, fish, lean meats, eggs and healthy snacks such as nuts etc. Cater for some quick options too in case you get a random crazy day or you finish work more exhausted than you predicted!
- Be flexible with your training – if you want to workout, but are going away for the weekend with your partner, you don’t HAVE to choose between pleasing yourself or being antisocial. Pack your trainers and suggest to do a morning run/walk together to get a feel for the place. The press-ups can wait for you to get home. Don’t feel like doing that run you planned? Do a yoga session instead and stretch those tired muscles!
- Adapt your goals to how you feel and set week-by-week goals. Goals like “I’m going to work out 5 times a week, every week, forever more” DO NOT WORK. If you feel exhausted or have a cold, plan lighter and less frequent workouts. Feeling pumped and awesome? Set yourself more challenging goals! Do what feels good for you and listen to what your body needs as this always changes. Make your lifestyle positive and sustainable.
Make yourself happy and healthy! Exercise, move frequently and eat healthy most days. It need not be more complicated than that. Through it all, stay connected and be kind to yourself 🙂